We’ve served these crisp, light green fritters to much praise at our restaurants, including Little Coco’s.
- 5 russet potatoes
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 green zucchini
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Peel and grate the potatoes, and rinse in cold water. Drain and toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Let potatoes sit in a colander for 30 minutes to drain out as much liquid as possible. Grate the zucchini and squeeze out as much moisture in a kitchen towel as possible—you want the zucchini to be as dry as possible. Mince the garlic, onion and dill, and mix with the zucchini and potatoes. Beat the egg and add to the potato mixture, then add the flour, remaining salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
- In a shallow pan, pour vegetable oil until ½-inch deep, and heat to 350 degrees. Form the potato mixture into 4-ounce cakes, and fry in the hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream, applesauce or a sweet tomato marmalade.