Veganized Creamy Smashed Potatoes
This is a simple, delicious, creamy mashed potatoes recipe. Try it with the groovy mushroom gravy. Both recipes come courtesy of my good friend, Nakul Dawra, a mathematician and culinary magician in Los Angeles, California. He is a master at creating vegan delicacies. He generously agreed to share his take on these Thanksgiving classics. Trust me, you won’t miss the non-vegan versions you’ve had in the past.
- 12 cups water
- 5 medium russet potatoes
- ¼ cup vegan butter or margarine, like Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise, like Vegenaise
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fill a deep pot with the water and put over high heat. While it is heating, peel the potatoes and cut in large, equal chunks. (Do not cut the potatoes too small, or else they become waterlogged when cooking). Once water is boiling, carefully place the potatoes in the water, making sure there is at least 1 inch of water above the top of the potatoes to ensure even cooking. Check on the potatoes after 15 to 17 minutes. When they are done, you should be able to glide the prongs of a fork into the potato chunks with ease. (Check often and do not overcook!) When done, turn off the heat and dump the potatoes into a colander and allow the water to the drain off. Put the deep pot back on the stove and add the vegan margarine and mayonnaise. When fully drained and while still warm, add the potatoes back into the pot.
- Mash with a fork or a potato masher until the potatoes reach the desired consistency. Don’t use a stand mixer or other electric mixing device—those devices break the cells of the potatoes and cause them to reach a gummy consistency. Mash just enough to make fluffy, heavenly potatoes. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste.