The Smokey Pom
Ancient ingredients sure made for some tasty pre-dinner libations! Wheat becomes vodka, grapes turn into wine, barley is the only ingredient in true Scotch whisky and grenadine syrup is made from pomegranates. This easy-to-construct cocktail is very impressive and is a great way to celebrate the season in a new way. Scotch whiskies vary greatly by brand, so be sure to try a few different ones. You can use a Speyside-style whisky that’s mild and sweet, or a strong, smokey Islay whisky for an extra burst of flavor.
- 2 ounces scotch whisky of your choice
- ½ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ ounce grenadine syrup
- ½ teaspoon superfine sugar*
- Fresh pomegranate arils for garnish
- Add scotch, lemon juice, grenadine and sugar to a shaker with ice. Shake until sugar has dissolved. Strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice. Garnish with pomegranate arils.
- *To make superfine sugar, add 1 cup of white granulated sugar to a food processor or blender and pulse 10 to 12 times, or until it becomes light and granules are almost indistinguishable from each other.