Sweet and Sour Fall Vegetables
Chilly fall days call for warm healthy dinners. This sweet and sour fall vegetable dish is inspired by the sweet and sour taste of stuffed cabbage, but it is so much simpler and lower in fat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound fall greens like kale, bok choy or cabbage, washed and sliced into wide ribbons
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vinegar of your choice
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic. Add butternut squash and allow to soften for 5 minutes. Add winter greens. Cover and continue to cook on low heat until greens are reduced and squash is soft. You may need to add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to help the greens reduce. Meanwhile, whisk together honey, vinegar and tamari until smooth. Remove vegetables from heat and toss with honey mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature.