Rosemary-Honey Wholey Wheat Rolls
These fragrant “wholey” wheat rolls are infused with the earthy flavor of olive oil, a subtle kick of fresh rosemary layered with a hint of honey. In winter they bring the fragrance and warmth of spring and summer to my table as a delicious addition to any meal.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Voilà! Hallah Wholey Wheat Egg Bread Mix
- 1 packet yeast, enclosed
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons warm water (110°-115° F)
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon bread flour for shaping the dough
- Sea salt and ground black or pink pepper to sprinkle on top, optional
- Egg Wash
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-3 teaspoons sugar or honey, optional
- Place rosemary in a small bowl. Pour the oil on top and let sit for 30 minutes. Place mix in bowl of a stand mixer. Make a well in the center, add yeast and stir with a bit of the mix. Add water and let stand for 5 minutes, or until it bubbles. Add whole egg, yolk, honey and olive oil/rosemary mixture. Use the hook attachment to mix dough on medium-low speed for 10 minutes, stopping to scrape down dough, as needed. The dough will be smooth, elastic and a bit sticky. If not using a machine, mix ingredients very well for 10 minutes with a wooden spoon. Use your hands to rub the vegetable oil all over a clean medium bowl. With your oiled hands, gather the dough into a ball and place smooth side down in the oiled bowl. Turn once to coat and place, covered with a towel, in a warm, draft-free area to rise for 45 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or oil it. Sprinkle flour on your counter or board. Roll the dough into a long log. Cut the log crosswise into the desired amount of rolls. Pinch and tuck the edges of each piece. With your hand cupped, roll each piece on the board into a smooth ball. Beat together the egg white and water. Brush rolls with egg wash and let rise in a warm, draft-free area for 45 min. About 15 minutes before ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush rolls with egg wash again and, if desired, sprinkle with sugar or brush on honey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a roll comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool. Wait 10 minutes before breaking.