Roasted Rainbow Veggie Kebabs
Everyone loves to eat a snack on a stick, especially when there’s also a dip. For the big game, elevate the ubiquitous raw veggies and hummus with this simple, make-ahead healthful snack that everyone will enjoy eating. Even better: Get kids involved in assembling the kebabs!
- 2½ pounds sweet potatoes
- ½ pound brussels sprouts
- ½ pound carrots
- 1 red onion
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Cut sweet potatoes into large chunks, approximately 2 inches. Aim for uniform pieces, so they roast evenly. Place sweet potato chunks on one of the baking sheets and drizzle with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with ½ tablespoon kosher salt and toss to coat. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to allow all sides to brown.
- Once sweet potatoes are in the oven, prepare the rest of the vegetables. Cut brussels sprouts in half, chop carrots into 1-inch pieces and cut onion into thick wedges. Toss vegetables with the remaining extra virgin olive oil and salt. Place on baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Both sheet pans can be roasted simultaneously, if desired. Remove roasted vegetables from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the dipping sauce ingredients either by hand or in a small food processor. Season to taste with sea salt. Pour into a small bowl for serving and set aside.
- Use 6-inch wooden skewers to assemble veggie kebabs. Put 5 or 6 pieces of roasted vegetable on each skewer, alternating colors and leaving an inch or two on either end for picking up the skewer. Repeat until all vegetables have been put onto the skewers, and place the skewers onto a serving platter. Serve skewers warm or at room temperature with dipping sauce.