Roasted Chicken with Mango-Peach Salsa
Honey-mango chicken might seem quite different from the birds roasted by past generations in Eastern Europe, yet this recipe–slightly sweet with a hint of peach–still evokes similar reactions of pleasure and contentment at the Shabbat table. And not only does this salsa recipe make chicken zing, it’s a great dipper for chips and veggies.
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey, preferably raw
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (skip this if you are using kosher chickens)
- 4 tablespoons mango-peach salsa (use this recipe or your favorite store brand)
- 2 chickens, cut up, rinsed and patted dry
- Sauté the onions and garlic in the oil over medium-low heat until soft. Add the mustard, honey, salt (if using) and salsa and stir until combined. Heat until warm, then remove from heat. Dip each piece of chicken in the mixture, coating each completely. Put the chicken in a single layer in a roasting pan, skin side up. Spoon any remaining salsa over the top. Place the chicken in a cool oven, turn it to 375 degrees and bake for 45-60 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees and the skin is golden and crispy.