Rafi Hakimi’s Sholeh Zard
Recipe courtesy of Rafi Hakimi, Panache Catering. This traditional Persian rice dessert is made with saffron and often served with ornate decorations made of spices and nuts. Rosewater can be found at ethnic groceries or online.
- 2 cups water, plus more for soaking
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch saffron, dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of coriander
- Pinch of allspice
- Optional garnish: shelled pistachio nuts, slivered almonds
- Soak rice in water for half an hour. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium pot. Drain rice and add it to the pot of boiling water. Add rosewater, sugar, saffron and slivered almonds. Season with spices. Cook, covered, over very low heat for 20 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Use a bowl or plate to create a mound of rice and use additional spices and nuts to create designs and decorations. Be creative!