Perfect Summer Tomato Plate
Pick or buy, at the farmers market, three or four different colored, perfectly ripened tomatoes for this salad. Rinse them. Don’t store them in the fridge—it kills the majority of the flavor and adversely affects the texture as well. This is a light and attractive accompaniment to a grilled protein and rice pilaf or eggs and potatoes at weekend brunch, or enjoy it with a rustic baguette for lunch.
- 3-4 large tomatoes (a mix of heirloom and hybrid from your garden or the farmers market)
- Handful of fresh herbs, such as chives, basil, parsley, cilantro, thyme
- Drizzle of high-quality extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound your favorite feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove core and slice the tomatoes around ½-inch thick. Arrange on an attractive plate. Chop the herbs finely together and mix with olive oil. Crumble the cheese on top of the tomatoes, drizzle with herbed olive oil, season with salt and pepper and serve.