Pastella (Moroccan Meat Pie)
Recipe contributed by Tzvia Alankari. This meat pie is traditionally served by Moroccans for Shabbat dinner, but is tasty anytime year-round. The spices in the filling make it particularly flavorful, while the hard-boiled eggs add great texture.
- 4 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 pounds ground meat
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, divided
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until soft. Set aside. While potatoes are boiling, put eggs in another pot and bring to a boil. When the water has reached a rolling boil, turn off and leave eggs in water for 10 minutes to hard boil them. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Add onions and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Add meat to the pan and cook about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring. Add parsley, nutmeg and half of salt, pepper and turmeric. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Peel and dice the eggs and fold into the meat mixture.
- Mash potatoes well and season with remaining salt, pepper and turmeric. Grease a 9-inch round pie plate. Spread half of mashed potatoes into dish. Cover with the meat mixture, spreading in a uniform layer. Spread remaining mashed potato mixture on top, smooth and drizzle with remaining tablespoon of oil. Bake until golden on top, about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and serve with lemon slices.