Gingered Sweet Potato Soup
I love to eat this Gingery Sweet Potato soup around Chanukah because it goes perfectly with latkes, especially the sweet potato varieties. Sometimes I like to dip the latke into the soup for a perfect balance of flavors. The soup is also the perfect appetizer for any Thanksgiving meal.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (as needed)
- 1 medium leek, white part only, cut in half lengthwise, rinsed well and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oil in soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and carrot and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the sweet potatoes and chopped ginger root. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. If it is too thick add water. Salt to taste. Before serving add more fresh grated or finely chopped ginger for extra sharpness and top with fresh cilantro.