back to Recipe Collection
Fiola’s Ricciarelli (Siena Almond Cookies)
- 3⅓ cups unsifted kosher-for-Passover confectioner’s sugar, plus more for rolling
- 3½ cups almond flour
- Zest of 4 oranges
- 4 tablespoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 drops of fresh lemon juice
- Combine the sugar and almond flour and pulse in a food processor. Combine the zest and extracts in a small bowl. Whisk the egg whites and lemon juice with a balloon whisk until soft peaks just start to form. Fold the sugar-almond mixture into the beaten egg whites, then fold in the extracts and zest. Place the dough on a sheet tray and let rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- The following day, preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough into tablespoon-sized balls and roll in confectioner’s sugar. Place the ricciarelli at least 1½ inches apart on a parchment lined sheet tray, and bake until just golden and set, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.