Easy Microwave Applesauce
We don’t know why people buy applesauce when it is so easy to make. This recipe can be halved or doubled very easily, depending on how much of it you need. Use whatever type of apple you prefer—if you like a more tart sauce, you can use Granny Smith, for example.
- 3 apples cored, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Place the diced apples in a microwave-safe bowl and pour in just enough water to cover. Microwave at high power for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the strength of your oven. The apples should come out soft, and most of the water should have boiled off. If this is not the case, return them to the microwave for another minute.
- Mash the soft apples with a fork and mix in the sugar and cinnamon.
- Recipe reprinted with permission from From a Polish Country House Kitchen (Chronicle Books LLC 2012) by Danielle Crittenden Frum and Anne Applebaum. Photo by flickr user Stacy Spensley.