Dairy-free Vanilla Ice Cream
Pareve, gluten-free, nut-free and soy-free desserts are hard to come by. Fortunately, the mighty coconut provides a creamy, delicious solution. This recipe works for making ice cream sandwiches, too! Just place a scoop between two of your favorite cookies after you churn the mixture and then freeze until ready to serve.
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup raw, unfiltered honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks at room temperature
- ½ cup mix-ins like fruit, chopped nuts or chocolate (optional)
- In a medium pot over low heat, mix coconut milk and honey, until smooth and evenly combined. Bring to a gentle simmer, but do not let it boil. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and add 5 tablespoons of coconut milk-honey mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time. This tempers the eggs, so you do not end up with scrambled eggs. Pour egg mixture back into coconut milk mixture in a slow stream while gently whisking. Place the mixture into the refrigerator for several hours (overnight is best).
- Once completely chilled, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and use according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If using fruit, nuts or chocolate, add them 5 minutes before ice cream is done churning. Transfer the ice cream to a container and freeze for 30 minutes. Stir ice cream gently and place back in freezer until ready to use. Best if consumed the same day.