“Cream” of Brussels Sprout Soup
Creamy soups are warm, comforting and delicious. But what do you do when you can’t have cream or want something pareve? Almond milk came to the rescue to create this delicious, dairy-free soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 3 cups chopped Brussels sprouts
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of vegetable stock or water
- 3 cups of almond milk or dairy-free milk of choice (coconut milk would also give a rich texture)
- Place the oil in a stock pot with a lid and add the potatoes, Brussels sprouts, celery and carrot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are slightly cooked, about five minutes. Add the stock or water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the almond milk. Puree with an immersion blender until completely smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Heat the soup again over medium heat until hot and serve immediately.