Cranberry and Sea Salt Toffee Crunch
A treat good enough even when it’s not Passover! The matzah in the photo does not have cranberries – I ran out! It is good with just sea salt, too.
- 4-5 sheets of matzah
- 2 sticks butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Sea salt, medium grind (optional)
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Set matzah on cookie sheet in a single layer so the sheet is covered, but no matzah overlaps. Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and vanilla. Heat and stir until mixture is bubbly and brown. The butter and sugar should be well incorporated. Pour mixture over matzah and spread with a spatula. Bake for 5 minutes, or until butter/sugar is bubbling and matzah looks browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. The chips will melt quickly, so spread them around with a spatula to get an even chocolate coating across the top. Then sprinkle with dried cranberries and, if desired, a light dusting of sea salt. Refrigerate until crunchy. The matzah will be easier to remove from the foil if you let it warm to room temperature before serving.