Asian Meatballs and Sweet Potato “Spaghetti” in Yellow Curry Sauce
This is the season of resolutions, gym memberships and promises of healthier eating. Healthy eating does not have to be boring. Introduce more texture and spice to your plate and palate. Take a trip the international market to unearth fun, new-to-you vegetables, herbs and spices. Discover new kitchen tools to add texture and interest to your produce. Charm your mouthfeel!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ¼ cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce/tamari
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Curry Sauce
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic minced
- 2 scallions, sliced, use white only (reserve green slices for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 13½-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, well shaken
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Sweet Potato “Spaghetti”
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- Special Equipment
- Meatballs: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together. Mix the ingredients with your hands until just combined. Be careful not to overwork the mixture.
- Begin rolling 1-tablespoon meatballs and place them in the prepared baking dish. They will be approximately 1-inch in diameter.
- Place meatballs in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. The meatballs should be brown and no longer pink in the center. Set aside.
- Curry sauce: Heat coconut oil on in a medium pot over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and scallions and sauté until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of yellow curry powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Next, add coconut milk. Add cayenne pepper, if using, and a pinch of salt. Mix well. Increase the heat to medium-high to bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Sweet potato “spaghetti”: While the sauce is simmering, heat the remaining coconut oil in a separate pan over medium heat. Spiralize the potato using the 3-millimeter blade and then add it into the pan. Cook sweet potato spaghetti, stirring often, until they just begin to wilt, about 8 minutes. Season with salt.
- To serve, drizzle a small amount of curry sauce on the plate, place a nest of sweet potato “spaghetti” over sauce, drizzle a bit more sauce over the sweet potato, top with meatballs and garnish with reserved scallions.