Arkansas Pear Haroset
This recipe is adapted from Michael Selig of Little Rock, Arkansas. Bill Yosses, the White House pastry chef at the time, and I prepared it together and served it at the 2012 White House Passover seder.
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1 cup dried figs
- 1½ just-ripe finely chopped pears, about 2 cups
- ½ medium Arkansas Black apple or other crisp, slightly tart variety, peeled and finely chopped, about ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Passover sweet wine
- Grated zest and juice from ½ lemon
- Finely chop the pecans and the figs with a hand chopper or knife in a wooden bowl.
- Stir them in with the pears and apple. Add the cinnamon, honey, sweet wine and grated lemon zest and juice. Toss together and store in a glass or ceramic bowl. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to mesh flavors.