Zesty Cranberry Yogurt Sauce
For a healthy and yummy Thanksgiving twist on a Chanukah classic, try this sauce in place of sour cream on your latkes. It’s great with old fashioned latkes, but with sweet potato latkes…OMG! Although I think whole fat yogurt always tastes better, feel free to use low-fat or fat-free if you want to save caloric space for latkes and other Thanksgivukkah treats. Use leftovers as a complimentary topping for savory sweet potato dishes or drizzle cranberry sauce over yogurt and granola for a zesty breakfast or midday snack.
- 2 cups whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup dates, chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- ½ cup toasted walnut pieces
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest for garnish
- Cook cranberries, dates, orange juice and zest, cloves and cinnamon on low heat for 15 to 25 minutes until the cranberry skins break apart. Remove from heat and allow to cool and thicken. Stir dried cranberries or raisins and walnut pieces into mixture, then cranberry sauce into Greek yogurt and garnish with orange zest.