Whole Wheat Pasta Salad With Veggies and Honey-Herb Vinaigrette
Recipe contributed by Martha’s Table. Each month, Martha’s Table Food Educators try to come up with a fun, healthy and easy-to-prepare recipe that uses food almost entirely available at the market that month. This tasty pasta dish turns a kid-friendly family favorite into a healthy, veggie packed tasty meal. What a great way to spread the joy of healthy eating!
- 1 pack whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 large zucchini, medium diced
- 1 red and green pepper, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta using directions on packaging. Drain well and run with cold water to stop cooking. In a medium-large mixing bowl, add pasta, zucchini, peppers and onions. In a separate bowl add vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme leaves and slowly drizzle olive oil and honey whisking well, until the vinaigrette emulsifies. Add vinaigrette to the pasta and vegetables and mix well. Taste and feel free to add more seasoning if desired.
- Tools and tips:
- Why whole wheat? Whole-wheat pasta has more nutritional benefits than white pasta, including vitamin E, major B vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, protein and healthy fats.
- Skip the salt. Add flavor with fresh herbs like basil and fresh thyme.