This recipe is from Leah Spiegel, who is originally from Israel and is now a well-known caterer in New Jersey. It is delicious spread on bread, crackers and veggies or with fish or chicken.
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 medium head of garlic, peeled
- 2 crustless slices of sourdough bread, white bread or 2 whole wheat pitas (2 ounces each)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine nuts, garlic and bread in a food processor, pulsing until mixture is fine but not a paste. Pour in lemon juice and pulse another few seconds. Slowly pour in olive oil while the processor is running and continue processing until a paste is formed. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Transfer to covered container and refrigerate. Store dip in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.