Walnut and Red Pepper Dip and Spread
This delicious “paste” is used as a dip with toasted bread or toasted pita, a canapé spread with crackers, an appetizer (meze) or an accompaniment to raw or cooked vegetables.
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 4 to 5 slices stale (2-day-old) white bread, crusts removed, processed to breadcrumbs
- 4 fire-roasted red bell peppers from a jar, chopped, or 4 fresh red bell peppers, roasted over your stove, cooled and chopped (ribs, seeds removed)
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 teaspoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pita bread wedges for serving (optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add walnuts and dry roast for about 4 minutes, shaking the pan so the nuts do not burn. Remove from heat and let cool. Place walnuts in a food processor and process to breadcrumb consistency. Add breadcrumbs and process or pulse a few times. Add peppers, garlic, salt, lemon juice, brown sugar and olive oil. Blend well until a rough paste is formed. Transfer paste to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until serving.