Vernal Pool for Tadpoles
Dry chia seeds look like poppy seeds, but when you soak them in water they develop a gelatinous coating. The first thing my soon-to-be seven year old said when he saw chia soaking in water was, “They look exactly like frog eggs.” As soon as he said it, I thought it would be fun to try a spring drink that looks like a vernal pool complete with a sprinkling of chia as faux frog eggs. This drink might be popular with my son’s seven-year-old crowd and with anyone else with a sense of adventure. For a Mama Frog version, spike with vodka to taste.
- 4 cups of water or seltzer
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons honey or sugar 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- Herb sprigs or edible wild plant for garnish (chickweed is pictured)
- Vodka to taste (optional)
- Mix first three ingredients in a pitcher and stir well. Stir in vodka, if using. Divide into 4 glasses. Sprinkle chia seeds on top of each. Garnish with fresh spring herb or edible wild plant to complete the frog pond feel.