Vegan Carrot Lox
Many contemporary recipes for vegan lox involve a lot of steps, and in some cases, many days, to accomplish. This simplified version doesn’t even require a knife, let alone a mandoline slicer. It starts with wavy-cut carrots, which are the perfect size, shape and thickness to serve as a lox substitute. Smoky seasoning is the main flavor note here, and if you’d like to add a fishy flavor, nori seaweed (which you know from sushi) is given as an option.
- 8 ounces wavy-cut carrots
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke or 1 tablespoon BBQ seasoning (see note)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons natural granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 sheet nori, cut into pieces, or 6 pieces nori snacks, optional (see note)
- To Serve
- Vegan cream cheese (see notes)
- Optional Additions
- Fresh dill
- Red onion, sliced, optional
- Capers, optional
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Cook the carrots in a medium skillet with just enough water to cover until just tender-crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. They’ll soften up a bit more while marinating, so don’t overcook! Drain and rinse until just warm.
- Combine BBQ seasoning, salt and sugar in a mug filled with water. Microwave for about 45 seconds, then stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Combine this mixture in a small flat container with olive oil, lemon juice and nori, if using, and stir together. Add the carrots and enough additional water to completely immerse them. Cover the container and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours or so.
- Serve on bagels with cream cheese and, if you’d like, some sprigs of fresh dill and slices of red onion.
- BBQ seasoning is available in the spice section of supermarkets. McCormick® Grill Mates has several flavor-packed choices. Liquid smoke is a bit harder to come by; I’ve had more luck finding it in natural foods stores, though well-stocked supermarkets might offer it in the spice section, as well.
- Using nori in the marinade results in a surprisingly fishy flavor, so if you’re not a fan of fishiness, simply omit this ingredient.