back to Recipe Collection
Three-Onion Brown Rice
Reprinted with permission from Starters & Sides Made Easy: Favorite Triple-Tested Recipes.
- 2 cups short grain brown rice
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 large sweet onions, diced
- 10 shallots, diced
- 3 thick leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced into rings and thoroughly washed
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- Pinch coarse black pepper
Prepare rice according to package instructions. While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and shallots and sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add leeks and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are completely caramelized and golden, about 40 minutes. Add onions to the cooked rice in the pot and stir to combine. Remove from heat and let steam for 10 minutes with the lid on. The rice will have a creamy risotto-like consistency. Fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper.