The Italian Getaway
Use up that last summer zucchini in an upgrade to your classic Caprese sandwich. An Asiago bagel provides the cheesy bite, topped with grilled zucchini, fresh mozzarella, olive tapenade, tomatoes and basil or arugula.
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Asiago bagel
- 1 ball of mozzarella, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive tapenade
- ½ medium tomato, sliced
- Handful of arugula or basil
- Trim the ends off the zucchini and slice it into thin circles. Heat up the olive oil in a large sauté pan, and fry the zucchini rounds over medium high heat until browned. You want the zucchini to get nice and dark, with a good char. Drain on a plate with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the bagel in half and smear each half with the olive tapenade. Top with mozzarella slices, tomatoes, zucchini and arugula or basil.