The Chocolate Ball
This recipe came to me via an old southern tea room recipe pamphlet. It had absolutely no flour in it, so I tried it for one of my early Passover seders after moving to Alabama. I have been making it, in multiples, ever since. I serve it with fresh strawberries and freshly whipped cream. It is the perfect dessert for a dairy or fish meal. It has become one of my most requested recipes.
- 8 ounces dark chocolate or any good Passover chocolate bars, sweetened
- 2 teaspoons undiluted instant coffee or instant espresso powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter or pareve margarine at room temperature (2 sticks cut up into 6 pieces)
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon flavoring of your choice (vanilla or almond) or Kosher for Passover Cognac or Amaretto
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 5-cup soufflé dish, charlotte mold or oven proof ceramic bowl with a double thickness of aluminum foil, flattening the foil as much as possible again the sides.
- This dessert is prepared entirely in a food processor using the basic steel chopping blade. Break chocolate into pieces and drop into the food processor work bowl with instant coffee and sugar. Pulse about 4 times until mixture gets started and then let processor run until the chocolate is finely chopped. With processor running, pour boiling water through the feed tube. Let processor run until chocolate is melted and thoroughly mixed. Add the butter and pulse 3 times, then let the processor run until the butter is blended completely into the chocolate mixture. Add eggs and flavoring, and process for 20-30 seconds.
- Empty the mixture into the mold or bowl lined with foil. Bake for about an hour. Check after 45 minutes. It is done when it rises and a thick browned crust is formed. Remove from oven and cool. The baked ball of chocolate will recede as it cools. To store when cool, wrap foil around ball and seal in an airtight bag. It may be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or frozen for 2 months. To serve, peel off foil and invert on a serving platter. The outside of the ball will look sticky and irregular. Garnished with strawberries and decorated with whipped cream or powdered sugar. Garnish with strawberries and decorate with whipped cream or powdered sugar. Chill until serving time. Cut in small pieces and serve.