Tangy Turmeric Tomato Watermelon Salad
Say farewell to summer with this bright and refreshing salad. Juicy watermelon and tomatoes get paired with crispy fried halloumi and a vibrant turmeric-infused oil. The sweetness of the melon complements the spiced oil and salty-creamy halloumi. Feel free to swap in another summer fruit like peaches or plums for a twist on this salad.
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin or ½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric or 1 teaspoon freshly grated turmeric
- ¼ cup olive oil or a neutral vegetable oil, plus about 1 tablespoon for frying, divided
- 3 cups cubed watermelon
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into pieces the same size as the watermelon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 slices halloumi (about 6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Make turmeric oil: Using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, grind the spices until they are coarsely crushed. In a small, dry saucepan over medium heat, heat ¼ cup oil and spices until fragrant (3 to 4 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Gently toss the watermelon and tomatoes in a large bowl with a pinch of sea salt. Set aside to rest.
- Fry halloumi: Heat a small frying pan with about 1 tablespoon oil over medium-low heat. Arrange the halloumi slices on the pan and let cook for 1 minute, making sure the cheese does not burn. Flip and repeat on the opposite side so that each side is nicely crisped and the inside is melty. Cut into cubes once cool enough to handle.
- Drain tomato-watermelon mixture to remove extra juice and arrange on a platter. Top with the halloumi cubes and parsley. Give the turmeric oil a stir, and drizzle over, ground spices included. Enjoy right away.