I like to prep this cocktails in the glasses ahead of time. Mix up the berries, lime, sugar and mint in advance, and then wait until guests arrive to top off with ice, rum and club soda.
- 12 medium to large strawberries
- 1 lime
- 12 sprigs fresh mint
- 2 shots (1½ ounces each) lime juice
- 2 shots (1½ ounces each) sugar
- 4 shots (1½ ounces each) rum
- 2 cups club soda
- Chop strawberries into medium chunks. Cut lime into 8 slices. Pull mint leaves from 8 of the sprigs. Divide fruit and mint between 4 tall glasses. Divide lime juice and sugar between the 4 glasses. Use a wooden spoon to mash (also known as “muddling”) the fruit, sugar, mint and lime juice together. No need to crush it to a pulp, just enough to get the juices flowing and the flavors mixing. You can set this aside until your guests come.
- When ready to serve, fill glasses with ice, add one shot of rum to each glass and fill the remaining glass with seltzer. Stir it all together, and garnish each glass with a sprig of mint.