Spiced Honey Cake
This cake brings together a range of spices and flavors for a very tasty result. The loaves can be frozen for a later day and work perfectly for French toast or even croutons—if you can manage not to eat it all at once.
- 2 extra large eggs
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon whole anise seeds
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup silan (date syrup), divided (¾ cup and ¼ cup)
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease or line two 8-inch loaf pans. Cream the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl or in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat for 3 to 4 minutes or until noticeably lighter in color and texture.
- Mix all dry ingredients (except sesame seeds) together in a bowl.
- Add the pomegranate juice, olive oil, ¾ cup silan, orange juice and zest to the eggs and sugar and stir well to combine. Gently incorporate the dry ingredients, mixing until it just comes together, a few lumps are ok. Pour into pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove to a rack to cool, and brush the tops with the reserved silan, sprinkle sesame seeds on top.