Smoked Salmon Pizza
This pizza version of lox and bagels will bring new flare to a typical break-fast meal. It’s a lovely combination of creamy cheeses, delicate slices of smoked salmon, salty capers and a crunchy crust. You can make the dough prior to Yom Kippur and assemble the pizza’s toppings surrounded by family in the kitchen. After baking, you’ll be laying slices of smoked salmon and your favorite crunchy lettuce on the finished pie in about ten minutes. Photo by Moshe Zusman Photography Studio.
- 2 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ball Paradiso Pizza Dough
- Cornmeal, for sprinkling
- 5 slices from a medium tomato
- ¼ cup sliced scallion
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 to 6 romaine lettuce leaves, preferably from the inner heart
- 2½ ounces smoked salmon, sliced
- Place a pizza stone on the top rack of a cool oven. Set the oven to broil and preheat for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mascarpone and cream cheeses. Mix in the lemon zest and half of the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a generously floured work surface, flatten the dough ball with your fingertips and stretch it into a 12-inch round. Sprinkle a pizza peel with cornmeal and lay the pizza dough round on it. Spread the cheese mixture onto the pizza dough, leaving ½ to ¾ inch of dough uncovered around the outside edge. Cut the tomato slices in half and arrange them on top of the cheese. Sprinkle the scallions and capers on top of the tomatoes. Drizzle with oil.
- Give the peel a quick shake to be sure the pizza is not sticking to the peel. Slide the pizza off the peel onto the stone in the oven. Broil for 1 minute. Turn the oven temperature to the highest bake setting and cook for 5 minutes. Quickly open the oven door, pull out the rack and, with a pair of tongs, rotate the pizza (not the stone) a half turn. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cut the lettuce leaves crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces. In a small bowl, toss the lettuce with the 1 teaspoon oil and the remaining lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using the peel, remove the pizza from the oven. Lay slices of the smoked salmon evenly over the pizza. Scatter the lettuce over the salmon. Cut into slices and serve.