This is a cocktail inspired by the mandelbread I’ve been eating my entire life, made by my mother during the holidays. What’s interesting is that she stuffs it with both jelly and walnuts. Now I’ve made it boozy.
- Damson-Ginger Syrup
- 4 ounces water
- 1 cup Damson plum preserves
- 2 very large pieces ginger
- 1½ ounces kosher Slivovitz
- ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1½ ounces Damson-ginger syrup
- Splash soda water
- Lemon round and piece of ginger for garnish
- To make syrup, heat water in a medium pot. Add preserves. Stir until combined and preserves have broken down. Grate ginger over the syrup (roughly ½ cup in total). Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Shake together Slivovitz, lemon juice and syrup with ice. Strain into a new glass with fresh ice and top with soda water. Garnish with a lemon and ginger skewer.