Shirley’s Easiest Noodle Kugel
I have been making and eating this kugel, my mom’s recipe, since I was a child. I love the texture and taste, all the sweeter because you don’t have to cook the noodles first. It’s so easy (and no knives involved!) that it’s a great recipe to make with kids as young as toddlers who love to stir. Feel free to experiment and adapt. Tasty additions include shredded apple, golden raisins or chopped dried fruit. Sometimes I use less sugar or leave out the cottage cheese and add an extra ¼ cup of sour cream or yogurt. These days I always make mine with low-fat or non-fat dairy ingredients, and no one ever notices. The only thing you cannot do is cut down on adding all the milk and pineapple with all the juice as these liquids hydrate the noodles.
- 1 stick (¼ pound) butter or margarine
- 4 large eggs or ½ pint egg substitute
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces cottage cheese, small curd
- 1 small can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, including juice
- 1 12-ounce package wide egg noodles
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the stick of butter or margarine in a glass 9x13-inch pan and place it in the oven while it’s preheating until all the butter melts. When melted, turn the dish to make sure the butter has spread over the entire bottom and part way up the sides of the pan. Leave the extra butter in the pan.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, salt, milk, sour cream or yogurt, vanilla and cinnamon until well blended. Add cottage cheese and crushed pineapple with juice, stirring well to blend. Spread uncooked noodles in the buttered pan. Pour the liquid mixture evenly over the noodles and pat down the top gently to make as even as possible. Sprinkle the top with extra cinnamon if desired. Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on top. The kugel freezes very well wrapped tightly in aluminum foil and then placed in a plastic bag. To serve, defrost and warm at 350 degrees, still wrapped in foil, for about 15 minutes, then open and heat 5 to 10 minutes more to crisp the top.