Salat Olivier (Olivier Salad)
The most prized possession of the Russian New Year zakuski (appetizer) spread, Salat Olivier is both a reflection of the food shortages that existed during the Soviet Union as well as the unfavorable winter climate in much of Russia during the winter. Bound together by the Soviet Union’s favorite condiment, mayonnaise, this salad is retro in the best way possible. Don’t be surprised if you secretly love it. Photo by Eduard Roytman, Beautiful Moments, LLC.
- 2 medium sized potatoes, boiled and diced
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and finely diced
- 3 dill pickles, diced
- 1 15-ounce can of green peas, drained
- 2 medium carrots, boiled and diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients together and season to taste.