Roasted Eggplant Zucchini Caponata
This is the easiest ratatouille recipe ever and makes enough to serve a crowd with leftovers. You will need to use your largest Dutch oven. I liked it both warm and cold. Submitted by Paula Shoyer.
- 1 large eggplant, trimmed, partially skinned and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed and sliced into ½-inch slices
- 1 small lemon, washed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pitted black olives, sliced
- ¼ cup pitted or pimento-stuffed green olives
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ bunch parsley, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 28-ounce can ground San Marco or plum tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, combine all ingredients and sauté over low heat, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Cover the casserole, place in oven and roast for 2 to 3 hours, until the vegetables are softened and cooked down. Adjust seasonings. Serve hot or cold with French bread or focaccia, an omelet or quiche, or as a bruschetta topping.
- Recipe reprinted with permission from When Bakers Cook by Marcy Goldman, copyright © 2013. Published by RiverHeartPress.com.