Roasted Chicken with Chickpeas and Harissa
I like to serve this with balsamic-roasted brussels sprouts and farro pilaf, but you can also serve it as is for a wonderful one-pot meal that the whole family will love.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken pieces (legs and/or breasts)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- ¼ cup harissa paste
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Couple spritzes lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat oil in a large ovenproof dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook pieces until browned, about 5 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. Add onion and garlic, and cook until softened. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until beginning to darken, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas, harissa and broth; bring to a simmer. Place chicken, skin side up, in chickpeas; transfer skillet to oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. Top with parsley and serve with a squeeze of lemon.