Pecan Banana Matzah Pancakes with Chocolate Chips
These pancakes, aka matzah brei, are really easy to make and will satisfy your Passover breakfast/brunch needs. I’ve thrown in some chocolate chips, but feel free to add any dried fruit, berries or anything you would love in a pancake. This recipe is very versatile.
- 5 sheets matzah, broken into tiny pieces
- ½ cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Butter for frying
- 1 banana, cut into ½-inch slices
- Maple syrup for serving
- Combine the matzah pieces and milk in a bowl and allow to soak for 10 minutes. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the matzah mixture and combine. Stir in the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Heat a good amount of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once the butter has melted, spoon about 2 tablespoons worth of pancake better into the pan. Top with a slice or two of banana. Fry for about 1½ minutes, flip and continue frying for another minute until golden-brown. Continue with the remaining batter. Serve with maple syrup.