back to Recipe Collection
Orange and Black Olive Salad
- 1 pound dried sweet red chile peppers
- 2–3 hot red chile peppers
- 10 garlic cloves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 ounces black oil-cured olives, pitted and halved
- 4 to 5 oranges, peeled, quartered and coarsely sliced
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Make the harissa first: Grind the dried chiles and garlic in a mortar and pestle or in a meat grinder. (A blender or grinder may be used, but it will produce a more liquid harissa). Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the olive oil, salt, cumin and lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. It will last a long time in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
- For the salad: Mix the olives, oranges, harissa, cilantro, cumin, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Let stand for at least 3 hours to blend the flavors. Serve at room temperature. The salad will keep for 2 days in the fridge.
- Recipe used with permission from Jewish Soul Food: From Minsk to Marrakesh by Janna Gur (Schocken Books, 2014). Photography by Daniel Lailah and food styling by Amit Farber.