Nina’s Apple Cake
For decades, Nina and Leon Merrick have brought not just a freshly baked cake to meals, but also countless stories of Poland, Ukraine, Russia and extended family across the globe—all peppered with the underlying strength, determination and calmness about the calamities they have survived. Despite it all, they exude joy and warmth—just like this modest, comforting cake.
- 5 large apples, cored and chopped
- 1½ tablespoons cinnamon
- 7½ tablespoons sugar (can use less)
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups sugar (I used a mix of white and brown)
- 1 cup oil (I used safflower)
- 4 eggs, unbeaten, or 12 tablespoons aquafaba (if you want to make it vegan)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bundt pan. Mix the apples together. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, mix together the sugar and the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour half the batter into the pan and top with half the apples; then repeat with the other half of each. Bake for 1¾ hours or until a toothpick poked in comes out clean. Cool, remove from pan and serve.