Nan-e Nokhodchi (Persian Chickpea Cookies)
These are delicate gluten-free Persian cookies, usually decorated with a single pistachio. They are a perfect accompaniment to normal hamantashen or a holiday alternative for those who keep a gluten-free diet.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons rosewater (the kind for baking)
- 4½ cups fine chickpea flour
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 1 cup dates
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup raw pistachios
- Cream butter with sugar, egg yolk, cardamom and rosewater in bowl until fluffy and combined. Add chickpea flour and mix well until lumps dissolve. Cover the bowl with foil or plastic wrap, and place in fridge to sit for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, combine filling ingredients except pistachios in a food processor, and pulse until a paste forms.
- When dough has sat for 1 hour, preheat oven to 300 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a teaspoon, scoop a spoonful of dough from the bowl and place into your hand. Roll the dough gently forming a ball in your hands. Press your thumb into the middle of the ball to form a dip in the cookie. This will flatten the cookie.
- Fill each “thumbprint” with the date and almond paste and top with a single pistachio. Line the cookies onto baking sheets and bake for 30 minutes until edges are brown.