Meyer Lemon Risotto with Peas and Asparagus
This is inspired by my fantasies of springtime. It’s a dish that incorporates the flavors and delicate vegetables of spring and is easy to pack up for a picnic supper or serve for Mother’s Day brunch.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- Grated zest of 4 Meyer lemons (more to taste if you like)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped, woody stems removed, and lightly steamed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Handful of toasted pine nuts
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and add onions, garlic and salt, sautéing until onions are translucent. Add Arborio rice and stir until coated. Add wine and simmer for 4 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Adjust heat to bring to a simmer. Slowly add water or vegetable stock half a cup at a time. Stir frequently. This may take 45 minutes.
- When all liquid is fully absorbed, remove from heat and stir in lemon zest, frozen peas and steamed asparagus. Garnish with plenty of black pepper, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts.