Beef Patties with Lamb Fat
This is my take on meat patties. I add lamb fat for amazing flavor, seltzer for unmatched lightness and walnuts for crunch. This is great recipe for Yom Ha’atzmaut (Israeli Independence Day), backyard summer barbecues and even Passover.
- 2¼ ground beef
- ½ pound lamb fat (like KOL Foods)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup seltzer
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and knead well with your hands for 3 to 4 minutes. The kneading loosens the proteins in the meat so that they don’t fall apart when grilled. Refrigerate the mixture for at least an hour. Remove the mixture from the fridge and form chubby patties (they shrink a bit during cooking). Grill or cook in a heavy grill pan over the stove until pink inside.
- Recipe translated by Merav Levkowitz.