The vegetables are the stars of this simple salad—the fresher they are, the tastier the salad. Feel free to improvise since this salad is a great base for your special flavors. Add more or less of any of the ingredients to your taste. Add chopped avocados, radishes, carrots, kohlrabi, jicama or olives. Spice up with a bit of ground cumin, a drizzle of tahini or a sprinkling of minced mint leaves, pomegranate seeds or toasted pine nuts. Crumble in some feta and you’ve made to make it a complete meal. Add a good amount of sumac and, at the last minute, pieces of toasted pita, and you have a fattoush salad.
- 3 cups cucumbers, diced (1 large seedless, 2 regular or 6 small)
- 3 cups tomatoes, seeded and diced (6 plum or 3 large salad)
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 cups green, red, yellow and/or orange pepper (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or to taste
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, adding the olive oil and lemon juice last. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix well to blend.