Hearty Greens Soup
I think that throwing out broccoli stems and kale ribs is one of the great shames of our culinary lives. That’s why I came up with this simple recipe for an easy and hearty pareve vegetable soup starring greens and their ribs.
- 6–8 large collard greens or kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (homemade if you’ve got it!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked rice, orzo or elbow macaroni
- Sriracha or other hot sauce (optional)
- Cut thick ribs away from collard or kale leaves. Stack leaves in a pile and slice them into 1-inch strips, and then into 1-inch squares. Slice reserved ribs diagonally into ¼-inch coins.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot and add chopped ribs and salt. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. As soon as ribs begin to brown, add onion and garlic and reduce heat to medium. After another 4 to 5 minutes, add chopped leaves. Add vegetable broth, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for an hour to an hour and a half. Season with pepper and additional salt to taste.
- To serve: Add ½ cup cooked rice, orzo or other small pasta to a soup bowl, and then add soup. Splash on some sriracha or other hot sauce for a kick if desired.