Healthy Bagel and Lox
A North American Yom Kippur break-fast staple, bagels, cream cheese and lox can be too heavy for some people. Here’s a healthy version that swaps out the regular cream cheese for a protein-rich, vegan cashew version. It’s great for those who are lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy. And if you leave out the smoked salmon, you have a great vegan treat, too.
- Cashew “Cream Cheese”
- 1¼ cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ teaspoon sea salt
- Bagel Sandwich
- 2 whole wheat bagels (or whole grain bread of choice)
- 4 tablespoon cashew cream cheese
- 6 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 tomato, sliced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons capers (optional)
- To prepare the cashew “cream cheese”, place cashews in bowl and add enough water to cover nuts. Soak cashews for 4 to 6 hours. Drain and rinse soaked cashews. Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until creamy. Your “cream cheese” will last at least 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator or can be frozen for up to 6 months. If frozen, blend in food processor after thawing to achieve smooth consistency. To prepare the bagel sandwich, slice bagels and spread with cashew cream cheese. Top each with a slice of tomato, 3 ounces salmon and capers.