Hana’s Apple Cake
This recipe comes from my family in Israel, so the transliteration is not great and the measurements aren’t exactly right, but I’ve tweaked them to the extent that I can to get consistent results. It’s my favorite cake for Rosh Hashanah.
- 3 apples, peeled and diced
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar (brown or white)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil (or less)
- 1–2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cup flour
- 1–1½ teaspoons baking powder
- Handful dark chocolate pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9-by-13-inch pan. Mix apples, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon together and put in pan.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl. In a large bowl, stir together eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, salt and flour mixture. Spread over the apples. Add chocolate on top as desired. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick poked in comes out clean.