back to Recipe Collection
Georgetown Cupcake Passover Macaroons
- 3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened if preferred)
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk*
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the condensed milk. Add the vanilla extract to the condensed milk mixture, and stir until the seeds are well blended. Pour the egg whites into a glass bowl and add the salt. Beat the egg whites on high speed using a handheld mixer until stiff peaks form. Pour the coconut into a large bowl, and add the condensed milk mixture. Fold the mixture together. Fold in the egg whites. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop balls onto parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes or until macaroons are golden brown.
- *If you can't find kosher-for-Passover condensed milk, combine 1⅔ cups instant nonfat powdered milk, 1 cup sugar, ½ cup boiling water and 4¾ tablespoons butter or margarine. Blend all the ingredients until smooth. To thicken, let set in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Alternatively, you can make homemade sweetened condensed milk from fresh milk by following this recipe (be sure to use kosher-for-Passover vanilla extract or vanilla sugar).
- Recipe reprinted from in Georgetown Cupcake’s second cookbook Sweet Celebrations: Our Favorite Cupcake Recipes, Memories, and Decorating Secrets That Add Sparkle to Any Occasion by Katherine Kallinis Berman and Sophie Kallinis LaMontagne (HarperCollins, 2012).