Garlic–Beef Dumpling Filling
Using the Szechuan flavor trifecta of ginger, garlic and scallions, any protein from ground chicken to tofu can be turned into dumpling filling. For my dumpling Shabbat, I made ginger-chicken, garlic-beef, tofu-kimchi and mushroom-cabbage fillings. The fillings stay fresh in the fridge for up to two days and are easiest to work with when chilled.
- 1 pound ground beef (the fattier the better)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili paste, such as sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, and mix together either with a fork or your hands. Keep in the fridge until ready to fold into dumplings.