Fusilli alla Contadina
This is one of the most popular dishes at Acqua al 2 in Washington, DC. It’s vegetarian, which makes it a great option for guests and meatless weeknight dinners.
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 bunch parsley
- ¼–½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes, pureed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cooked fusilli
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- Puree onions, celery, carrots, herbs and oil in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a pot and cook over medium-low heat for about 1½ hours. Stir constantly to prevent sticking. Add red wine and reduce by half. Add pureed tomatoes and cook for another 2 hours at medium-low heat, stirring when needed and adding salt and pepper halfway through cooking (after 1 hour). Then continue simmering for final hour. Toss with pasta and freshly grated Parmesan.