back to Recipe Collection
Florence Golden’s Gourmet Mandelbrot
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup plus 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- A pinch of salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup almond slivers (broken)
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup Citron (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or grease lightly. Beat eggs until well blended. Mix in oil, 1 cup sugar, almond and vanilla extracts. Sift flour, salt and baking powder together and gradually add eggs to mixture. Gently mix in almond slivers, pine nuts and Citron. Dough will be very sticky.
- Oil hands. Shape dough into 3 loaves approximately 3x10 inches and place on cookie sheets. Bake 25 minutes until light golden brown. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 250 degrees.
- As soon as loaves are cool enough to be handled, but still hot, transfer them to a cutting board using a large spatula. Slice each loaf into ½-inch slices with a serrated knife. Place slices back on the cookie sheet, cut side down. Sprinkle with remaining 3 teaspoons sugar and bake until lightly toasted, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and serve. Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.